Pages

Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Android fragmentation


At times I wish Google was a bit more like and Apple and did not have an open source mobile OS.  Android is becoming more and more popular but at the time of this writing only one phone has the latest Jelly Bean OS being the Galaxy Nexus from Samsung.  I have this phone and it annoys me so much when I see a fellow Android user out and about and they are running an Eclair build or Froyo build, and they are perfectly fine with it.  Now don't get me wrong, in no way am I upset at the phone owners this is all directed at the manufacturers.  HTC, Samsung, Motorola, etc they all have to get there you know what together and push these updates out quicker.  There has to be some sort of regulation on this by Google.  They have already since stepped in (sort of) and put up guidelines for a more uniform look for developers when creating applications so why not implement some sort of time table when it comes to OS updates?  I can see maybe skipping a few incremental releases but when a major overhaul is done to the OS there should be some haste in getting that out to all the recent phones.  Android is already stupid popular, just think how much better it would be if every phone had the latest OS?

No comments:

Post a Comment